Facts About Burns
Most of us think we're safe from burn injuries. But the truth is, burns can happen to anyone at any time.
Scalding hot liquids, grease fires, car accidents, chemical explosions, house fires, frayed electrical cords and even severe sunburns can all cause serious scarring and life-threatening infections. Here are some additional facts about burns that might surprise you:
- More than 40 percent of all burn injuries occur at home.
- About 500,000 people receive treatment for burn injuries each year.
- There are 4,000 deaths each year from fire and burn injuries.
- About 40,000 people are hospitalized each year for burn injuries.
- Burns from ordinary tap water can occur at a temperature of only 111°. Water heated to 130° can cause severe burns in seconds.