History

Historical timeline

140 Years1838
St. Joseph Hospital was formerly the 65–room Rockhill Hotel that was begun in 1838 by William Rockhill, a famous Ft. Wayne politician.

1867
The Rockhill House is purchased by Bishop Luers for $52,000.

1869
St. Joseph Hospital opens.

1869–1875
Fees for hospitalization are $3–5 per week.

1876
A doctor’s clinic opens and the first resident physician, Dr. Friscus, begins practice at the hospital.

1894
An expansion to the hospital includes private and semi-private rooms, as well as elevators.

1899
An isolation hospital is built by St. Joe for tuberculosis patients.

1900
St. Joe, “the country hospital,” is annexed into the city of Fort Wayne.

1906
St. Joseph Hospital is approved and registered by the American Medical Association.

1912
St. Joseph Hospital initiates an innovative hospitalization program which entitles an individual to board and treatment for an all-inclusive rate of $7.50 per year. An addition to the hospital moves the front doors from Main Street to Broadway Street.

1914
The first baby is born on March 7 at 7:40 p.m.

1918
The St. Joseph School of Nursing opens.

1919
A Medical Staff is organized and Maurice I. Rosenthal becomes the first President of the staff.

1921
Seven graduates become the first graduating class of the St. Joseph School of Nursing.

Maternity ward is in operation.

1922
The Poor Handmaids of Jesus Christ Motherhouse is transfered to Donaldson. Vacated rooms are renovated for patients utilizing the St. Joseph Home for the Aged.

1923
St. Joe sells five acres that the isolation hospital resides upon to the Lindenwood Cemetery Association for $9,500.

1928
The construction of the St. Joseph School of Nursing totals $122,905.

1929
The original Rockhill Hotel was demolished after 61 years as the hospital and a new seven-story structure with a bed capacity of 350 is constructed, extending to Van Buren Street.

1952
An entire floor of the hospital is dedicated solely to the care of polio victims, totaling 136 patients.

1966
A nine-story wing along Broadway Street is constructed. A new four-story building is also constructed on Van Buren Street. The addition houses a chapel, enlarged delivery unit and laboratory.

1974
St. Joseph Regional Burn Center opens.

1980
The north building of the hospital is completed.

1984
St. Joseph Hospital purchases land near Dupont Road and Interstate 69 for the purpose of expanding healthcare services.

1988
The St. Joseph School of Nursing closes.

1990
Phase one of Dupont Medical Center opens at Dupont and Interstate 69.

1993
Previously located at the St. Joseph Hospital, the Children’s Care Center opens at Lafayette Medical Center.

1994
Phase two of Dupont Medical Center complete.

1996
The Frank Freimann Regional Outpatient Burn Unit opens.

1998
Quorum purchases St. Joseph Hospital on July 1.

2000
Fort Wayne’s first permanent Palliative Care Room opens on the fifth floor of St. Joseph Hospital.

Groundbreaking for Dupont Hospital, located at Dupont and Interstate 69.

2001
Quorum is purchased by Triad Hospitals, Inc. on April 27.

2003
$5.5 million Emergency Department renovation and expansion

2005
$1.8 million renovation and expansion to the hospital’s obstetrics unit called “The Birthplace” completed.

2006
Received Chest Pain Center accreditation by Society of Chest Pain Centers.

2007
Triad Hospitals, Inc. is purchased by Community Health Systems on July 25.

2008
The Burn Unit relocates to the second floor of the hosptial. It becomes the Burn and Wound Clinic and the Regional Burn Center.

Construction of the new medical office building, which houses the Fort Wayne Medical Education Program, is finalized.

t=7
LUTHERAN HEALTH NETWORK
BLUFFTON REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER | DUKES MEMORIAL HOSPITAL | DUPONT HOSPITAL* | KOSCIUSKO COMMUNITY HOSPITAL*
LUTHERAN HEALTH PHYSICIANS | LUTHERAN HOSPITAL* | MEDSTAT | THE ORTHOPEDIC HOSPITAL* | REDIMED | REHABILITATION HOSPITAL*
ST. JOSEPH HOSPITAL*

*A physician owned hospital.

If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 911.
*ER wait times are door to clinical professional and can change quickly depending on the urgency of patients that arrive by ambulance. Lutheran Health Network provides care to patients with life-threatening illnesses first.
St. Joseph Hospital is owned in part by physicians.
Patient results may vary. Consult your physician about the benefits and risks of any surgical procedure or treatment.